Halloween brings pumpkin patches, haunted houses, and mounds of candy and a lot to love in Seattle. Washington residents love to get out into the community and enjoy this festive night but also realize that Halloween brings increased hazards for kids and homeowners. Make memories this October 31st and keep trick-or-treaters safe and keep your home and property secure with these Halloween safety tips.
Tips to Keep Kids Safe On Halloween
Halloween is a fun night, but it can also be dangerous. The incidence of pedestrian fatalities is highest on Halloween. Emergency rooms also see an increase in minor injuries, most of them caused by falls and injuries related to dangerous or ill-fitting costumes.
While you and your kids are out enjoying Halloween, keep these things in mind to help keep them safe.
• Consider organizing or attending alternative celebrations that keep kids in one place.
• Accompany children under 12
• Trick or treat in groups
• Choose costumes that can be easily seen
• Make sure all costume accessories are safe and cannot cause tripping or injury
• Use reflective tape on the front and back of costumes
• Secure the headwear is secured so it does not slip and obscure the child’s vision
• Carry flashlights
• Make sure to observe pedestrian safety at all times
• Go to only well-lit houses
• Stay in familiar neighborhoods
• Children should carry a phone
• Inspect all candy to make sure it is unopened and safe for your child
Halloween Safety Tips for the Home
• Make sure the walkway leading to your home is free of obstructions, such as hoses, newspapers, garden tools, toys, or rocks
• Light the pathway as well as your doorway to your home
• Keep pets restrained
• Keep black cats indoors to avoid those that may cause harm or mischief
• Report any suspicious activity
• Make sure valuables are not visible from the doorway
• Be sure not to overload electrical sockets with automated Halloween decorations
• If you leave the home for the evening, turn on your home security alarm system
While the incidence of child abduction does not increase on Halloween, the possibility of child abduction always exists.
About Guardian Security
Guardian Security is a family owned business, and we are dedicated to the safety of your family. If you have questions about home security, fire and life protection, or other services that can help keep your family safe, please give us a call: 800-282-6998.