Actionable Steps You Can Take Now to Prevent Daytime Burglary in Seattle
Everyone wants to believe that they will not become a victim of a burglary, but the odds are working against us. In 2012, more than two million homes fall victim to burglars. That is one every 15 seconds, and 20 in the 5 minutes it takes to read this article. Surprisingly, many of these crimes were committed in broad daylight.
Most Seattle residents believe that daylight alone is enough to deter crime, and it is that belief that contributes to the ease with which criminals commit daytime burglaries. During the daylight hours, most people are at work, non-residents draw less attention, and windows and doors are less likely to be locked.
Fortunately, there are easy and affordable steps you can take to deter crime. Check out this list of practical tips to deter burglars from making your home their next target.
- Lock your doors and windows. One third of all daytime burglaries happen without forced entry through an opened or unlocked door or window.
- Make sure all doors and windows have quality locks on them, not just the front doors.
- Secure sliding glass doors.
- Make sure door hinges have non-removable pins in them.
- Never install doggie doors as they provide fast and easy access to burglars.
- Keep bushes and trees trimmed to reduce the cover they provide for crime.
- Plant strategic landscape under windows, such as thorny bushes and vines.
- Keep curtains closed and do not keep valuables in plain sight.
- Never advertise expensive purchases by putting packaging in the trash can.
- Install break resistant glass in the windows in doors and around the home if possible.
- When you leave, say goodbye as if someone is still home.
- Change your daily routine often.
- Install a home security system.
- Advertise home security with signs and stickers.
- Install a home automation system and schedule televisions and stereos to go on and off throughout the day.
- Install a fence and locked gate system with an alarm around your property.
- Install a video surveillance system with visible cameras.
Crimes, in most cases, are not random occurrences. Criminals watch your Seattle residence and your routine to calculate their best chance of success. If you want to reduce your chance of becoming a victim, implement these steps to help deter, detect, and delay burglaries.
- How Access Control Transforms Security Overnight - May 25, 2023
- How Access Control Accomplishes More for Your Organization - May 9, 2023
- Reducing Springtime Crime with Video Surveillance in Washington State - May 5, 2023